More and more people are discovering the health benefits of chlorella and spirulina powder as it is fast becoming more popular in different parts of the world. Spirulina is known as blue–green algae and chlorella is a microscopic single celled green algae. These “superfoods” are health supplements containing just about everything a human body needs for a perfectly balanced diet. The benefits of these superfoods are many.
Chlorella and Spirulina Fight Radiation
The earthquake that brought on the tsunami in Japan and caused the malfunctioning of the nuclear plant at Fukushima had people scrambling for potassium chloride along with iodine health supplements. In 1993 chlorella was found to be extremely defensive against harm brought on by radioactive injury to the research workers for Jawaharlal Nehru University in India. Spirulina in Russia has been recognized as a medication to battle radiation exposure after immediately providing spirulina tablets to children after the Chernobyl disaster. Spirulina and chlorella have demonstrated to be beneficial in fighting cancer, the aging process and good for detoxification.
Some people who have used spirulina and chlorella independent of each other have mixed reviews. Many see the algae as just that, common algae. Alternative medicine practitioners and research scientists disagree on the benefits of the plants. In its raw form, certain algae can be toxic and is usually unpleasant to smell and taste. In medical studies, Chlorella and Spirulina possess very promising health features.
- This is a clinical study where a group of 70 women with pregnancy anemia and pregnancy induced hypertension was either given a placebo or 6 grams of Chlorella from the 12th week of gestation until delivery. The women receiving Chlorella supplements demonstrated improvements in anemia in their second and third trimesters. Read More>>
- A study published in the August 2009 edition of the journal Nutrition examined the effects of Chlorella supplementation in a group of male smokers. A group of participants with ages ranging from 20 to 65 were asked to take 6.3 grams of Chlorella vulgaris or a placebo over the course of 6 weeks. Blood samples were taken pre and post trial. The results of the testing revealed that the Chlorella users showed increased levels of select antioxidants such as Vitamins C and Vitamin E. The researchers concluded that “Chlorella is an important whole-food supplement that should be included as a key component of a healthy diet”.
- Adding 6 grams daily of Spirulina to the diets of “moderately trained males” for 4 weeks was shown to improve exercise performance and stamina, increase fat burning and systemic antioxidant levels and reduce exercise induced oxidative stress.
• A new experiment conducted at the Department of Pharmacology at the Mymensingh Medical College in Bangladesh discovered that Spirulina extracts can effectively remove arsenic from the livers of mice suffering from arsenic poisoning (arsenicosis). In September 2009, a group of Japanese researchers also reported that Chlorella could “contribute to the prevention of gastrointestinal absorption of lead and the promotion of the excretion of lead” in mice.
• 30 days worth of Spirulina supplementation provoked positive changes in diabetic rats according to an Indian study from Pondicherry University in Kalapet. Improvements in blood glucose, body weight, insulin and pancreatic health were noted.
In the internet world and the supplement industry there have been many scams out there; acai berry, dietary, body building…you name it. Here are a couple of tips to protect yourself from supplement scams:
If It Sounds Too Good to Be True…
If a supplement claims it will treat or cure disease like hair loss, acne, sexual dysfunction, don’t buy it. These claims are illegal, and miracle pills don’t exist.
Research the company as much as you can. Research the product and learn all you can about a nutrient before buying a supplement.
Perfect Aquatic Greens are Naturally Perfect
Perfect Aquatic Greens, a 100% Organic and Fair Trade Certified Spirulina and Chlorella supplement, combines the two into one supplement using no filters or other ingredients. Perfect Supplements is a family owned company dedicated to searching the globe for the highest quality ingredients. It is the simplicity that makes this product so unique.
50/50 Mix of Chlorella and Spirulina
Fair Trade & Organic Certified